Sunday, 31 October 2010

What a night..

I was hoping to be able to write a blog on Thursday, about how preparations were going. 


I do not know how I thought I'd be able to do that! It was so so busy all day. Firstly Cheryl and myself met with Jinhee (lighting designer) to help put up the lights in the space. Jinhee was on the ball. Her lighting absolutely transformed the space. Rehearsals for Blue Blood, Harriet Tubman and Dad(die) were squeezed into the day somehow. I will not try to work out how. Before we knew it, the time was 6:30pm and we had so much still to do - like printing the programmes!


We were so lucky to get a fantastic artist called Tom Bull to create an image for our cover: 





The doors opened at 7:05pm. Literally every actor was grabbing every last second to go through lines, songs... etc. If I remember correctly the cast of Blue Blood found themselves a tiny corridor to do their line run. Not particularly glamorous mind.


At 7:30pm we entered the church - couldn't believe my eyes! It was packed!! And with a really diverse audience in age and in colour. Great. Our actors were fantastic. And the performance poets!  -  Pure Feminine Energy and Saran Green. I had never seen performance poetry. And I have come to the conclusion that I have seriously been missing out. Our directors Fiona Clift, Monique Sterling and Cheryl Gallacher are next generation of directors about to whup this industry into shape. They were fantastic to work with and I was really proud of their contribution and energetic, upbeat attitude.


I can truly say that I couldn't have asked for a better evening. The church was transformed into this performance space where you could hear people laughing and tutting at different themes of the work. 


As for the next event... yowsers. Back to the board people.


Amanda





No comments:

Post a Comment